Monday, April 21, 2008

Bulging L-5



Lightning pain shoots down.
Ice, walk, ice, lay down, repeat.
My right leg tingles.


Sheesh, it is bad when I have time to think up the ridiculous idea of composing a poorly crafted haiku to express my pain.  Of course this was the worst possible timing for this to have occurred.  If there was ever a day that I NEEDED TO BE AT WORK, it was today.  And my body seems to be rebelling at a very innocuous chore - weed pulling.  That I did LAST THURSDAY.  Are you kidding me?!?!?  I don't know why the delay between the pulling and the pain, but I didn't even know anything was wrong until Saturday evening.  Joe had gone off to work, I was about ready to go to a party for two friends birthdays, and then I made the very poor decision to stand up from the sofa.  And it was all over.  I heard a loud pop and felt a jolt of pain course down my right leg.  It was sharp enough pain to make me holler, and I decided to get off my feet.  Which is pretty much how I stayed up until last night when I was getting no relief and the thought of sitting at a desk chair for 8 hours at work had me nervous.  So I went to Joe's dad (who is a chiropractor) and he worked me over big time which was good, but then the muscle spasms started which he said was not a good sign, because that meant that the nerve was compressed.  I was still keeping a positive attitude because I was hoping that I would magically be healed in the morning and good to go for work.  I was instructed to see him in the morning and he would give me the go ahead... or so I was hoping.
So I go in and hop on the table (or slowly waddle up to it grimacing all the while) and I hear him say, "Oh good, your pelvis stayed in place over night!".  Uhh, no wonder it hurt like the devil if my pelvis was out of place!!!!  So he nixed the idea of work for today because sitting is a big no-no.  I just got back from seeing him again this afternoon for another treatment and this time my pelvis was not so cooperative and did not stay adjusted.  I am really hoping that this all heals itself fast.  Because it is really boring laying down, and I had no idea how much I twist my hips in a day but I get a nice little reminder in the form of a couple zings.  It makes me feel old to be this immobile and I have no idea how people with chronic back problems function through daily life!  What a mess of a Monday...

5 comments:

Ashley said...

oh my goodness!!!! That sucks so bad! I'm sorry. I hope you feel better soon! Don't worry about work, YOU and your body are MORE important.

Anonymous said...

YIKES Kate! How awful. I am so sorry for your pain, I hope you heal up quickly, that is nothing you want dragging out.

Anonymous said...

omg!!!! well i hope you are feeling better today!!! we missed you on saturday night! :( see you soon!!!

MightyMouse said...

AW, KATE!
I am so sorry . . .
I hope you are feeling better!!!
Take it easy!

Anonymous said...

That sounds icky - so sorry you had to deal with that! I really hope it's feeling better now.