Saturday, November 7, 2009

Crafting for a Cause

Every year on the first Tuesday of November our church has a holiday boutique that is put on by the women's ministry, Women In Touch.  Who is the backbone of Women In Touch you might ask?  None other than my wonderful mother in law!  She would blush and tell you it's not true, but really, it is.  She works hard monthly to coordinate their luncheons, the speakers they have, hand makes hundreds of favors a month to set at the ladies' place settings... she's the real deal.  To see this big boutique come together year after year under her direction is pretty inspiring.  So many people give of their time and talents to provide home made goodies to sell for the boutique, with all of the proceeds going to missions.  They even sell some goods from underground churches we support in China and Vietnam - really incredible!

Well, every year AFTER the boutique has happened I tell myself that I will craft a couple of items a month and put them away so I won't have to cram everything in last minute.  So far, that hasn't happened.  The cramming and jamming seems to be where it's at for me right now.  But honestly, I enjoy participating and offering something to sell, so I don't really mind.  It's just that I know I could produce a lot more to sell if I wasn't up against the clock at the end.  In years past, I've given embroidered onsies.  But I didn't have any purchased, washed and ready to go.  I was feeling the time crunch and was having a lack of inspiration.  Then I was reading this lady's blog (which I do quite a lot) and something caught my eye.  She was wearing a fabulous headband that was decorated with yo-yos.  I started to get excited.  About a year ago I came across an online tutorial on how to make yo-yos so I already had some in a baggie stashed amongst my crafting supplies.  I hadn't been sure what to do with them - it was MEANT TO BE!!  I grabbed my glue gun and went to town.























They were so easy!  And I loved how they turned out!  Don't all the colors just make you smile?























I ended up making ten which seemed like a very small, insignificant drop in the bucket.   But that's not what it is about.  And it really motivated me to get it together for next year.  And to make one for myself. 















8 comments:

Carolyn M said...

So Very Cute!!!!

marisa paige said...

OMG!!! love love LOVE them!!! way to go!!

Debbie said...

these are so cute!! do you have any left? I would love to see them in person and maybe buy one or two... :)

ChElleS02 said...

I like your headbands alot, They are very cute, good choice of colors. And yes they do make you want to smile...


heres my blog www.mindofbluntness@blogspot.com

Ami said...

Wow what wonderful head bands! Those look like fun to make :D

Anonymous said...

I love those, so cute!

FeliciaSamin said...

so cute!!! ♥

Hotmail helpline said...

Very nice and color so beautiful.