Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Shout Out to Sandy

I just found out today that one of my ol' friends from school days is expecting her first baby in January. I am so excited for her - I really haven't been able to stop thinking about it today. I'm not quite sure why. I mean, quite a few people from my class have had kids...heck, even my high school boyfriend has now been a dad for about a year. But this is different...she's the first one from my closer circle of girlfriends from then to actually experience pregnancy - she's the one sustaining life. Not like the guys I know who're now dads...I mean, that's very cool too, but not the same b/c it's their wives who went through all the emotions/physical change/etc. Trippy! I mean, this is Sandy who in 3rd grade volunteered to pull out my tooth for me, watched Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken with like 84,000 times (small exaggeration), played soccer with at every lunchtime in Jr. High, giggled and gossiped with in High School during band... Of course, we had our arguments and normal girl drama too...but when I think of my school experience, she is a big part of it. Hard to believe that we're really at this stage of life, when I can picture running around Chabot Elementary school's field chasing soccer balls with her like it was yesterday.
Not too uncommon, but we kinda lost touch during college; however, thru the joy that is MySpace, have reconnected enough to know what each other is doing, send a comment, and keep tabs on each other. She should be really grateful that I still don't know how to use the scanner, otherwise I could post some adolescent pics that are dynamite...you know, that lovely awkward stage. Actually, come to think of it, Sandy always looked good. I look like a skinny geek, so you're really not missing much.
Anyhow, I just wanted her to know that I'm thinking about her, excited for the journey she's on, and wanted to pay a small tribute to her, because saying "congrats" just doesn't seem adequate enough. Especially since it made me get to reminiscing about elementary, Jr. High and CVHS. I don't think I let her know how much I valued her friendship - and that's not right. She was an awesome buddy to have. Bye 4 now !!

***Edited to Add***
Sandy was kind enough to send me our eighth grade sticky-pic from the yearbook...can you dig the matching overalls? Very 1995. So I'm on the left, Sandy's in the middle, and Debbie is on the right. Interestingly enough, Debbie was always interested in showbiz, and lo and behold she graduated from UC Berkely and has been wrapping up her master's (all aimed at the entertainment field) at Stanford and directed a short film for her thesis. She'll be famous, and I hope she remembers that she owes us a limo ride like she promised if she ever "made it". She is also gorgeous now, no more pouffy bangs... Good times, good times!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Kate...I don't even know what to say except what a great way to start the day reading your blog...I have definitely been reminiscing a lot too since getting in touch with you again even if it's only via the internet...anyway just wanted to say I once again enjoyed reading your blog ;)
p.s. So I decided to beat you at the embarrasing picture game but I couldn't figure out how to post it here so I'm going to try your myspace

Anonymous said...

this made my day too! It was so cool to see you're excited for Sandy, the same thing happened to me when I found out she was pregnant. It really brought me back! So glad Sandy let me know about your blog and to see how great you are doing. I really think we should take a new matching overall picture. And then perhaps our daughters can get together and take a picture like this as well. In what, just 13 years?